Join tour leaders Dr. Kevin Gray and Joe Fowlkes for TCWPA’s next Three-Star Battlefield Tour at the privately-owned site of the Battle of Sugar Creek. During the early morning hours of December 26, 1864, while camped along Sugar Creek, The Army of Tennessee’s cavalry and infantry under the command of Generals Nathan Bedford Forrest and Edward C. Walthall, surprised and halted the attack of General James H. Wilson’s Union cavalry. This delaying tactic allowed the Confederates to retreat to and cross the Tennessee River after their last battle in Tennessee.
Starting in Pulaski, participants will visit the Martin House and enroute to Sugar Creek, will visit the site of the historic covered bridge, and the Anthony’s Hill battle site and cemetery.
The tour is free and open to the public. Because the number of participants must be limited, pre-registration is required. If the tour fills, we will keep a waiting list in case there are cancellations.
Check-in and Welcome will be from 8 – 8:30 am in downtown Pulaski. The tour will depart at 8:30 am and conclude no later than 1 pm.
- Car-pooling from Pulaski is recommended.
- Rain or shine – the tour goes.
- Walking distance: approximately 1 mile (total) at Sugar Creek, all on level pasture land.